7 things you need to arrange before moving to a new country
Moving to another country
It is never been more accepted by society to live in a foreign country. Besides moving for a job, there are also people relocating abroad for love or to embrace new cultures. Relocating abroad allows you to start a new chapter, start a new lifestyle and meet interesting new people.
Moving to a new country with Compas International Movers
Other than nomadic travellers, expats and diplomats mostly stay for a longer period of time in a new country. Which means they want their new accommodation to feel like home. At Compas we want you to feel comfortable at your new place, therefore we do everything to transfer your desired items safely abroad.
6 things you need to arrange before moving to a new country
1. Get the proper international documents: For lots of countries around the world a visa or a different travel document is required. Make sure you are well-informed about the different government offices and have a valid document ready before you arrive. In some cases, you also have to register yourself with immigration.
2. Get to know health care requirements: healthcare differs around the world and since you probably don't want to move to a new country without health insurance, it might be best to do some research on which health insurance will be best when moving abroad. In most cases you can make use of a particular expat/international health insurance which covers your medical expenses when living in a country long term.
3. Start to work out which items you want to transfer abroad: think about what items you will need in your new country (and what you want to ship abroad) and what items you can put in storage or donate to charity. Recently, we wrote a blog post on the subject of selling, shipping or storing your goods when moving abroad.
4. Explore international school options for your kids: if you are moving abroad with children, it might be best to explore some public local schools or private international schools that cater to your kids' needs. Sometimes, you will need to follow an application program beforehand.
5. Check if your driver's licence is valid in the country of destination: if you will be living abroad for more than six months, an International Driving Permit (IDP) is often not sufficient. Check with the local driving licence authority if you need to exchange your licence or apply for a new one.
6. Get an international moving company: this is probably the most important one on this list. An international moving company like Compas can help you with a lot of aspects of moving to a new country. In this blog post, we listed 6 things to consider when choosing an international moving company.
Our process for moving abroad
Made up your mind about your transfer abroad? Great! Compas International Movers will be your partner during the whole removal process. Before we start, we would like to take you through our working method.
- Book a survey: you choose a date for the survey that fits. After that, you receive a booking confirmation and a link to download the app.
- Show us your items: via a remote video survey we can avoid physical contact and have a clear understanding of the items you want to move.
- Receive a quotation: after the survey we make up a transparent quote and send it to you. If something is not entirely clear, do not hesitate to contact us.
- Time to pack: Compas uses professional packing techniques like state of the art floor protection and wall cover to avoid damages during the transfer abroad. Everything moves safely with us, even valuable paintings, or delicate glass items.
- Moving abroad: if everything is packed safely, it is time to move. We move your possessions abroad in the way that is best for you: via boat, airplane or truck. At destination, Compas will handle customs for you.
- Unpacking: we put every box in your new accommodation so you can start unpacking. Via our packing app we check if every item is moved correctly.
Relocating abroad: download the full checklist
To help simplify the process of moving your posessions abroad, we created a moving checklist. It gives you more information about handling everything before, during and after the move. If you want more information about our services, please feel free to contact us.