Moving abroad: everything you need to know
Although it may seem easy these days, moving to another country is more than just packing bags. You also have to take things into consideration like tax codes and residency restrictions. At Compas International Movers we are happy to help you with the entire burden of your removal.
Moving to another country
It is never been more accepted by society to live in a foreign country. Besides moving for a job, there are also people relocating abroad for love or to embrace new cultures. Relocating abroad allows you to start a new chapter, start a new lifestyle and meet interesting new people.
Other than nomadic travelers, expats and diplomats mostly stay for a longer period of time in a new country. Which means they want their new accommodation to feel like home. At Compas we want you to feel comfortable at your new place, therefore we do everything to transfer your desired items safely abroad.
7 things you need to arrange before moving to a new country
1. Get a visa: For a lot of countries around the world a visa is required . So make sure you are well-informed and have a valid document before you arrive.
3. Get to know the tax and health care requirements: healthcare differs around the world. You might have to do some research on which health insurance will be best for you and your family when moving abroad. Also regarding taxes; you beter determine your obligations beforehand.
4. Start to work out which items you want to transfer abroad: think about what items you will need in your new country and what items you can put in storage or donate to charity.
5. Explore international school options for your kids: if you are moving abroad with children, it might be best to explore some public local schools or private 'international schools' that cater to your needs.
6. Check if your driver's licence is valid in the country of destination: if you will be living abroad for more than six months, an International Driving Permit (IDP) is often not sufficient. Check with the local driving licence authority if you need to exchange your licence or apply for a new one.
7. Get an international moving company: this is probably the most important one on this list. An international moving company like Compas can help you with a lot of aspects of moving to a new country.
Our moving process
Made up your mind about your transfer abroad? Great! Compas International Movers will be your partner during the whole removal process. Before we start, we would like to take you through our working method.
- Book a survey: you choose a date for the survey that fits. After that, you receive a booking confirmation and a link to download the app.
- Show us your items: via a remote video survey we can avoid physical contact and have a clear understanding of the items you want to move.
- Receive a quotation: after the survey we make up a transparent quote and send it to you. If something is not entirely clear, do not hesitate to contact us.
- Time to pack: Compas uses professional packing techniques like state of the art floor protection and wall cover to avoid damages during the transfer abroad. Everything moves safely with us, even valuable paintings, or delicate glass items.
- Moving abroad: if everything is packed safely, it is time to move. We move your possessions abroad in the way that is best for you: via boat, airplane or truck. At destination, Compas will handle customs for you.
- Unpacking: we put every box in your new accommodation so you can start unpacking. Via our packing app we check if every item is moved correctly.
Customer centric approach
We know international relocations are more than just moving posessions abroad. That is why we look at every international removal individually and with the same attention. For example: we understand diplomatic removals are different and more complex than a typical expat move. We can provide guidance regarding special procedures and obtaining the documents that are necessary.