Moving to the USA: tips & tricks

The US is one of the most popular expat locations in the world. This is mainly because the US offers incredible opportunities for work, travel and education. If you are (planning on) moving to the United States there are a few things you need to know to arrange your move properly. We have collected some of the most important things on this page. If you need more information regarding the subject of international or European moving or if you need a reliable partner to organize your move, please feel free to contact us.

Moving to the USA with Compas International Movers

Some things you need to arrange before moving to the USA

The event of moving all your belongings to a new country can be very stressful. The best advice we can give you is to start planning and preparing as soon as possible and find a reliable partner to organize your move. We listed some things you need to arrange before moving to the United States. Worth mentioning here is that every state can be seen as a different country with different regulations, laws and culture so it is important to check the specifications of the state you are moving to. If you need any help regarding the things listed below, we are happy to help. 

  • Apply for a visa: Visas should be something to take care of as early as possible. Visa applications can namely take over a year to be fully processed and accepted.
  • Get your healthcare sorted: having a private health insurance is crucial to avoid high medical bills. If you are moving for business reasons, your employer will probably cover this bills for you.
  • Make copies of official documents: before leaving, it is best to gather copies of important documents they might ask for in the US and translate them into English (like a birth certificate, a marriage certificate or medical records).
  • Get a social security number: if you intend to work in the US, you must have a social security number. This number is used to determine if you are eligible for social security benefits.
  • Register your kids for a public or private school: if you are planning a move with your family, you better look into international schools for your kids before arrival. You can register in a public school or apply for a private school.
  • Have your pets vaccinated: a vaccination against rabies is mandatory for pets in most parts of the US. Bring the document of vaccination with you because you may need to present it upon arrival. 
  • Get an International Driving Permit (IDP): An international Driving Permit is only valid for short-term visitors. If you are planning on staying in the US permanently, you will need a new license from the state where you live.

Why Compas is your partner for moving to the USA

International moving is the sole focus of our firm. Our professional movers have taken care of many USA moves, whether it is from Belgium to the USA, from the USA to Belgium or from the USA to another country in the world.  We always try to provide the best service for our clients and look at each move individually. Please feel free to contact us.

Moving to the USA with Compas Movers